ED attaches Rs 51 cr worth properties of Jagan, associates
New Delhi/Hyderabad: The Enforcement Directorate on Thursday issued attachment orders on properties worth Rs 51 crore in its money laundering probe against YSR Congress chief Jagan Mohan Reddy and his associates.
The agency, which has questioned Jagan extensively in the past few months, has attached more than 13 acres of land of Ms Janani Infrastructure Private Limited and fixed deposits worth Rs 14.50 crore of Ms Jagati Publication Limited as "kickbacks allegedly received in lieu of granting favours" to private entities.
Both the companies are owned by Jagan.
The MP is at present lodged in the Chenchalguda central prison in the state capital under the judicial custody of CBI which is probing him and others in an alleged corruption and cheating case during the reign of his father and the then Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
The attachment order, issued under the stringent provisions of the Prevention of Money laundering Act (PMLA), was also against private companies which were "illegally benefited as a result of criminal activity" and illegal sanctions granted during the tenure of Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
The other properties attached by the agency are 35 acres of land and fixed deposit of Rs 3 crore of Ms Hetero Drugs Limited, 96 acres of land of Ms APL Research Centre Limited, a 100 per cent subsidiary of Ms Aurobindo Pharma Limited, and fixed deposit of Rs 3 crore of Aurobindo Pharma.
The properties of these firms have been attached as the agency alleges that these companies received illegal favours from the then Andhra Pradesh government.
The ED attachment ensures that these properties cannot be used by the accused and he is devoid of any benefits from these assets, and such an order can be challenged by the accused at the adjudicating authority of the PMLA.
The ED, in its order, said during the probe it was
revealed that "as a result of the criminal activity, Ms Hetero Drugs Limited and Ms Aurobindo Pharma Limited were illegally benefited by Rs 8.60 crore each in the allotment of 75 acres of land to each of them by the state government of Andhra Pradesh while Ms Trident Life Sciences Limited was illegally benefited by Rs 4.30 crore in the allotment of 30.33 acre land".
These allotments of lands were done "illegally by the state government at a lower rate than the rate fixed by the price fixation committee", the agency said.
The ED found that "in return of this favour, a sum of Rs 14.50 crore was paid to Ms Jagati Publications Limited and Rs 15 crore was paid to Ms Janani Infrastructure Private Limited (the companies owned and controlled by Jagan Mohan Reddy).
"These payments to the companies of Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy were made in the form of equity contribution which was in fact kickback for the favours done by the state government," the agency alleged.
The ED began its probe against the young politician and his associates on the basis of the CBI FIR which stated that since "May 2004 Jagan floated number of companies wherein quid pro quo investments have been made by the beneficiaries from the decisions of the state government in various forms like SEZs, irrigation contracts, relaxation/permission for real estate ventures, mines among others".
The CBI has already filed a charge sheet in this case at a special court in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in