Eight arrested for impersonating as Maoists in AP
Warangal: Eight persons were on Monday arrested for allegedly impersonating as Maoists and extorting money from traders and contractors in Maripeda town of the district.
The arrested accused have been identified as L Malsar Bayyaram, Nagendra, A Venkata Narayana, Md Afsar, B Naveen, Md Saleem, M Pavan Kumar and V Venkanna Bayyaram, Superintendent of Police Warangal (Rural) G Pal Raj told reporters.
The accused had teamed with the intention to extort money, Pal Raj said, adding that they had purchased two China-made 7.6 mm rifles, three dummy pistols and other material from Bihar.
The accused had threatened some contractors and traders in Khammam, Warangal districts and extorted Rs 15 lakh, police added.
During the interrogation, the accused confessed to the crime, police said adding that the weapons and other material was recovered from them.
Further investigation is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town