Eight arrested for impersonating as Maoists in AP
Warangal: Eight persons were on Monday arrested for allegedly impersonating as Maoists and extorting money from traders and contractors in Maripeda town of the district.
The arrested accused have been identified as L Malsar Bayyaram, Nagendra, A Venkata Narayana, Md Afsar, B Naveen, Md Saleem, M Pavan Kumar and V Venkanna Bayyaram, Superintendent of Police Warangal (Rural) G Pal Raj told reporters.
The accused had teamed with the intention to extort money, Pal Raj said, adding that they had purchased two China-made 7.6 mm rifles, three dummy pistols and other material from Bihar.
The accused had threatened some contractors and traders in Khammam, Warangal districts and extorted Rs 15 lakh, police added.
During the interrogation, the accused confessed to the crime, police said adding that the weapons and other material was recovered from them.
Further investigation is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official