Eight arrested for impersonating as Maoists in AP
Warangal: Eight persons were on Monday arrested for allegedly impersonating as Maoists and extorting money from traders and contractors in Maripeda town of the district.
The arrested accused have been identified as L Malsar Bayyaram, Nagendra, A Venkata Narayana, Md Afsar, B Naveen, Md Saleem, M Pavan Kumar and V Venkanna Bayyaram, Superintendent of Police Warangal (Rural) G Pal Raj told reporters.
The accused had teamed with the intention to extort money, Pal Raj said, adding that they had purchased two China-made 7.6 mm rifles, three dummy pistols and other material from Bihar.
The accused had threatened some contractors and traders in Khammam, Warangal districts and extorted Rs 15 lakh, police added.
During the interrogation, the accused confessed to the crime, police said adding that the weapons and other material was recovered from them.
Further investigation is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre