Eight including 2 Congress rebels file nomination for RS from AP
Hyderabad: Eight candidates, including two Congress rebels, filed nomination papers for the six Rajya Sabha seats from Andhra Pradesh today.
Congress` T Subbrami Reddy, K V P Ramachandra Rao and M A Khan, who have been renominated by the party, filed their papers while Telugu Desam`s Garikapati Mohan Rao and Sitarama Lakshmi also submitted their nominations to Legislature secretary S Raja Sadaram.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, Deputy CM Damodara Rajanarasimha, PCC president Botsa Satyanarayana and some other ministers accompanied the Congress nominees.
Former MP K Keshava Rao, who defected from the Congress, filed his papers as Telangana Rashtra Samiti candidate for the biennial election slated for February 7.
Congress MLC K V Satyanarayana Raju alias Chaitanya Raju and MLA Adala Prabhakar Reddy, too, filed their papers as party rebels in the name of "United Andhra Pradesh."
Interestingly, two ministers Ganta Srinivasa Rao and Erasu Pratap Reddy were said to have supported the candidature of Chaitanya Raju.
"Raju said he will secure the party`s candidature, hence I signed the nomination in his support," Pratap Reddy said.
Senior-most MLA J C Diwakar Reddy, who had been telling over the past few days that he, too, would be in the fray, backed out of the contest today.
Congress sources claimed that JC opted out to ensure the "Samaikya Andhra" votes did not split.
Meanwhile, Satyanarayana said disciplinary action would be initiated against the legislators who filed nominations as rebels.
Action would also be taken on MLAs who supported the rebels` candidature, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in