Eight including 2 Congress rebels file nomination for RS from AP
Hyderabad: Eight candidates, including two Congress rebels, filed nomination papers for the six Rajya Sabha seats from Andhra Pradesh today.
Congress` T Subbrami Reddy, K V P Ramachandra Rao and M A Khan, who have been renominated by the party, filed their papers while Telugu Desam`s Garikapati Mohan Rao and Sitarama Lakshmi also submitted their nominations to Legislature secretary S Raja Sadaram.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, Deputy CM Damodara Rajanarasimha, PCC president Botsa Satyanarayana and some other ministers accompanied the Congress nominees.
Former MP K Keshava Rao, who defected from the Congress, filed his papers as Telangana Rashtra Samiti candidate for the biennial election slated for February 7.
Congress MLC K V Satyanarayana Raju alias Chaitanya Raju and MLA Adala Prabhakar Reddy, too, filed their papers as party rebels in the name of "United Andhra Pradesh."
Interestingly, two ministers Ganta Srinivasa Rao and Erasu Pratap Reddy were said to have supported the candidature of Chaitanya Raju.
"Raju said he will secure the party`s candidature, hence I signed the nomination in his support," Pratap Reddy said.
Senior-most MLA J C Diwakar Reddy, who had been telling over the past few days that he, too, would be in the fray, backed out of the contest today.
Congress sources claimed that JC opted out to ensure the "Samaikya Andhra" votes did not split.
Meanwhile, Satyanarayana said disciplinary action would be initiated against the legislators who filed nominations as rebels.
Action would also be taken on MLAs who supported the rebels` candidature, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America