Election Commission censures Andhra Congress chief
New Delhi: The Election Commission has warned D. Srinivas, the Congress president in Andhra Pradesh, to be more cautious and not violate the model code of conduct in the July 27 by-election in Telangana region.
Srinivas is the Congress candidate from the Nizamabad Urban assembly constituency.
"Violating the provisions of model code of conduct for guidance of political parties and candidates by making an appeal to the voters of a particular community to vote for him on the ground that he also belongs to that community...the commission has decided to censure Sh D. Srinivas, of Indian National Congress and decided to warn him to be more cautious and observe the model code of conduct in letter and spirit," the order issued Tuesday night said.
The commission acted upon the complaint lodged by K. Kavita, daughter of Telangana Rashtra Samiti chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao and president of Telangana Jagruti Samiti.
It said Srinivas had violated the model code of conduct by making a provocative speech against certain communities in the last general elections to Lok Sabha and Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?
- After Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Laurent Blanc too leaves Paris Saint-Germain: Report
- Global warnings on Brexit consequences