Election Commission censures Andhra Congress chief
New Delhi: The Election Commission has warned D. Srinivas, the Congress president in Andhra Pradesh, to be more cautious and not violate the model code of conduct in the July 27 by-election in Telangana region.
Srinivas is the Congress candidate from the Nizamabad Urban assembly constituency.
"Violating the provisions of model code of conduct for guidance of political parties and candidates by making an appeal to the voters of a particular community to vote for him on the ground that he also belongs to that community...the commission has decided to censure Sh D. Srinivas, of Indian National Congress and decided to warn him to be more cautious and observe the model code of conduct in letter and spirit," the order issued Tuesday night said.
The commission acted upon the complaint lodged by K. Kavita, daughter of Telangana Rashtra Samiti chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao and president of Telangana Jagruti Samiti.
It said Srinivas had violated the model code of conduct by making a provocative speech against certain communities in the last general elections to Lok Sabha and Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly last year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev