Election Commission censures Andhra Congress chief
New Delhi: The Election Commission has warned D. Srinivas, the Congress president in Andhra Pradesh, to be more cautious and not violate the model code of conduct in the July 27 by-election in Telangana region.
Srinivas is the Congress candidate from the Nizamabad Urban assembly constituency.
"Violating the provisions of model code of conduct for guidance of political parties and candidates by making an appeal to the voters of a particular community to vote for him on the ground that he also belongs to that community...the commission has decided to censure Sh D. Srinivas, of Indian National Congress and decided to warn him to be more cautious and observe the model code of conduct in letter and spirit," the order issued Tuesday night said.
The commission acted upon the complaint lodged by K. Kavita, daughter of Telangana Rashtra Samiti chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao and president of Telangana Jagruti Samiti.
It said Srinivas had violated the model code of conduct by making a provocative speech against certain communities in the last general elections to Lok Sabha and Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Srinagar encounter: Two suspected cop killers gunned down as search-op against militants continues
- Van Gaal sacked by United, Mourinho poised to step in
- Iraq justice ministry announces execution of 22 convicts
- UK grants asylum to Maldives' ex-president Mohamed Nasheed
- North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader