Emaar scam: AP bureaucrat surrenders, sent to jail
Hyderabad: Two days after the Andhra Pradesh
High Court cancelled his bail, suspended IAS officer BP Acharya, prime accused in the Emaar township scam, on Thursday
surrendered before a special CBI court.
The court remanded the 1983-batch officer in judicial
custody till tomorrow and he was taken to Chachalguda Central
The court accepted Acharya`s plea to accord him special
class prisoner status (which allows him to avail additional
facilities in the jail).
The high court on March 27 had cancelled Acharya`s bail
and asked him to surrender before the special court forthwith.
Acharya, a former head of state-run APIIC which signed a
deal with Emaar, was Andhra Pradesh`s home secretary when he
was arrested by CBI, which is probing the scam, on January 31.
On March 16, the lower court had ordered release of
Acharya as the mandatory sanction for his prosecution was not
obtained from the Centre by the investigating agency.
CBI, in its charge sheet filed on February 1 against
Acharya and others, which include individuals and private
companies, had booked them under relevant sections of IPC and
Prevention of Corruption Act.
The scam relates to alleged irregularities in land
transfer and sale of villas and apartments in Emaar Group`s
township project at Gachibowli here.
The CBI, in its FIR last August, charged Acharya, then
CMD of Andhra Pradesh Industrial Infrastructure Corporation
(APIIC), with entering into a criminal conspiracy with
officials of Emaar Group and unknown public servants to cheat
APIIC and secure wrongful gains to the Dubai-based
However, Acharya has claimed he has been made a scapegoat
in the case and the real conspirators were roaming free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre