Engg college students held for murder of junior
Namakkal: Seven engineering students, studying in a private college here, have been arrested for murdering one of their junior and severely injuring his friend in a suspected case of ragging, police said.
All those arrested are from Kerala and into their third year of college.
Police said the students of Gnanamani Engineering College had yesterday asked their juniors to fetch them drinking water from a tank which they refused, following which they were threatened with dire consequences.
After college hours, the duo left for home on a motorbike. As the two students neared a junction, they were intercepted by the seven students in a car and attacked with iron rods. One of the junior students died on the spot and the other suffered head injuries, police said.
The students sped away in the car, but local people alerted the police, who nabbed them at nearby Omalur. All of them were booked under IPC Section 147 (punishment for rioting) 148 (rioting armed with deadly weapon), 302 (punishment for murder) and 307 (attempt to murder).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope
- World Hepatitis Day, 2016: Ten facts you should know!