Engg college students held for murder of junior
Namakkal: Seven engineering students, studying in a private college here, have been arrested for murdering one of their junior and severely injuring his friend in a suspected case of ragging, police said.
All those arrested are from Kerala and into their third year of college.
Police said the students of Gnanamani Engineering College had yesterday asked their juniors to fetch them drinking water from a tank which they refused, following which they were threatened with dire consequences.
After college hours, the duo left for home on a motorbike. As the two students neared a junction, they were intercepted by the seven students in a car and attacked with iron rods. One of the junior students died on the spot and the other suffered head injuries, police said.
The students sped away in the car, but local people alerted the police, who nabbed them at nearby Omalur. All of them were booked under IPC Section 147 (punishment for rioting) 148 (rioting armed with deadly weapon), 302 (punishment for murder) and 307 (attempt to murder).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city