Environment Ministry suspends construction work at AP plant
New Delhi: A day after a violent protest
by local farmers, Environment Ministry on Tuesday ordered
suspension of construction work of a power plant in Srikakulam
district of Andhra Pradesh.
The Ministry sought a report by March 6 from the
company East Coast Energy Pvt Ltd on compliance of
conditions for environmental clearance.
The ongoing construction work related to the project
should be "suspended forthwith", the Ministry said in its
order with regard to the power plant.
It said the 2,640 MW Super Critical Coal plant was
being constructed on wetland and cited recommendations of the
Expert Appraisal Committee of the Ministry as a reason for
order to suspend work.
The Ministry said the case will be heard on March 7
when the representatives of the company should be present.
The order comes a day after police firing on farmers
who were protesting against the project in Srikakulam in
which two people were killed.
The matter was raised in Parliament today after which
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh promised action.
Ramesh threatened to slap another show cause notice on
the company promoting the power plant.
Describing the killing of farmers as "unfortunate and
tragic," Ramesh said this was not the first time that
violation had taken in this connection and his ministry had
issued a show cause notice earlier as well.
"In view of the nature and the seriousness of the
matter, it had been decided that the Expert Appraisal
Committee dealing with Thermal power projects should consider
these and the issue of compliance with the conditions
stipulated in the aforesaid environmental clearances in its
meeting scheduled to be held on March 7," the notice said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog