Ex-CM Kiran Reddy opts out of May 7 elections in Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Former chief minister of Andhra Pradesh and president of Jai Samaikyaandhra Party, Kiran Kumar Reddy, has opted out of the contest in the May seven elections in the state.
Though Kiran was expected to file his nomination from his home turf Piler Assembly constituency in Chittoor district on Saturday, he opted out at the last minute and instead fielded his younger brother Kishore Kumar Reddy as the JSP candidate.
Kiran`s decision not to fight the election comes as a surprise to the two-month-old party that was established on the united AP platform.
Barring Kiran and a couple of expelled Congress MPs, the JSP has no other notable faces as some of his erstwhile Cabinet colleagues, who were supposed to join the party, deserted him.
Sources close to Kiran said he did not want to contest the election as he would be busy campaigning for the JSP candidates in other constituencies.
Addressing a road show at Piler, Kiran thanked the people for having elected his father and later him for ten terms from Vayalpadu and Piler constituencies.
He requested them to now extend the same support to his brother Kishore.
Simultaneous polls to Lok Sabha and undivided Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly would be held in Telangana region on April 30 followed by Seemandhra on May 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof