Ex-Congressman Keshava Rao named TRS general secretary
Hyderabad: K Keshava Rao, a former senior leader of the Congress party, on Tuesday took over as the secretary general of Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS).
Keshava Rao thus became the number two in the party headed by K Chandrasekhara Rao.
KCR, as TRS president is popularly called, also appointed Rao as the head of the party`s national affairs committee.
This is the first time since KCR founded the party in 2000 that he has named a general secretary.
The TRS chief made the announcement at a press conference in the presence of Rao, who last month quit Congress party to join TRS along with two party MPs.
KCR said Keshava Rao was in touch with West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee, who has proposed formation of the Federal Front.
The MP from Mahabubnagar said TRS would play a key role at the national level after the coming elections.
"In Andhra it is going to be a triangular fight and hence none of the three parties (Congress, TDP and YSR Congress) can win more than 10 (Lok Sabha) seats. TRS will be the only party from Andhra Pradesh which will get 16 seats," said KCR.
Out of 42 Lok Sabha seats in Andhra Pradesh, 17 seats are in Telangana region.
KCR also made it clear that nothing short of a separate Telangana state with Hyderabad as its capital is acceptable to TRS.
He said Keshava Rao would take key decisions of the party and would also look after its national affairs.
The TRS chief said he had been a fan of Keshava Rao since his student days. "I used to go to (legislative) council to hear him. He is an eloquent speaker. His experience and abilities will be of immense help in achieving the goal of Telangana state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA