Ex-TDP Minister held in assault case; granted bail
Guntur: Former Telugu Desam Minister and education baron Alapati Rajendra Prasad was arrested in an assault case here and later granted bail, police said on Monday.
Prasad, booked under IPC Sections 323 (voluntary causing hurt), 448 (house trespass) and 506 (criminal intimidation), was arrested last night by the Pattabhipuram Police and released on bail within two hours.
The case was fallout of a financial dispute between Prasad, Chairman of the NRI Group of institutes, and K Raghava Rao, a former Government officer and businessman, police said.
Sometime back, Rao had filed a cheque bounce case against Prasad in a local Court. This had angered the TDP leader. Adding fuel to the fire, Rao filed an RTI application seeking some information about NRI institutes, they said.
Prasad, accompanied by two associates, stormed into the house of Rao in Shyamal Nagar here and allegedly trashed the latter yesterday, police said, quoting a compliant.
The former Andhra Pradesh Minister denied beating Rao and claimed he had gone to his house to settle financial matters.
The NRI Group runs two engineering colleges, a medical college and a host of high schools in the State.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16