Ex-TDP Minister held in assault case; granted bail
Guntur: Former Telugu Desam Minister and education baron Alapati Rajendra Prasad was arrested in an assault case here and later granted bail, police said on Monday.
Prasad, booked under IPC Sections 323 (voluntary causing hurt), 448 (house trespass) and 506 (criminal intimidation), was arrested last night by the Pattabhipuram Police and released on bail within two hours.
The case was fallout of a financial dispute between Prasad, Chairman of the NRI Group of institutes, and K Raghava Rao, a former Government officer and businessman, police said.
Sometime back, Rao had filed a cheque bounce case against Prasad in a local Court. This had angered the TDP leader. Adding fuel to the fire, Rao filed an RTI application seeking some information about NRI institutes, they said.
Prasad, accompanied by two associates, stormed into the house of Rao in Shyamal Nagar here and allegedly trashed the latter yesterday, police said, quoting a compliant.
The former Andhra Pradesh Minister denied beating Rao and claimed he had gone to his house to settle financial matters.
The NRI Group runs two engineering colleges, a medical college and a host of high schools in the State.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal