Fake currency: AP police to have strict checks at airports
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Police today decided to have more stringent checks at airports by the Customs and Airport Security to curb the flow of fake currency in the state.
Last year fake currency of more than Rs 75 lakh were seized from different parts of the state.
A decision in this regard was taken today at a meeting of state level committee for detection/ seizures of counterfeit notes/ Fake Indian Currency Notes (FICN), attended by senior officials of RBI, NIA and IB.
Officials from the Counter Intelligence Cell and Hyderabad police also attended the said meeting chaired by CID Additional DGP T Krishna Prasad.
Strategies were worked out to counter trends of circulation of fake currency notes in high prone areas like Hyderabad, Nalgonda, West Godavari, East Godavari, Visakhapatnam city and Guntur.
It was revealed that most of the fake currency was manufactured in one place and distributed to various places through different persons.
It was also noticed that some of the high quality notes were pumped into India from across the border, mainly through Malda district of West Bengal by air, sea and train routes, and measures to curb such activities were discussed.
As compared to other denominations, incidence of counterfeiting was found higher in cases of notes of Rs 500 denomination.
In 2012, fake currency with face value of Rs 75,22,000 was seized mainly from Hyderabad, West Godavari, Visakhapatnam, Adilabad and Vijayawada by police.
The meeting also discussed to sensitise people on the menace of fake currency circulation and to bring more awareness campaigns with the help of RBI.
The committee also discussed various issues requiring coordination among agencies relating to lodging of FIRs, investigation in cases, important points emanating from discussions during the district level committee meetings, according to an official release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why