FB post: PUCL leader remanded in judicial custody
Hyderabad: A local court in Andhra Pradesh has remanded state general secretary of People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) to 12-day judicial custody for allegedly posting "objectionable" comments on her Facebook account against Tamil Nadu Governor and a Congress MLA.
Jaya Vindhayala was apprehended by Prakasham district police from Padmarao Nagar here yesterday under section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act for the "objectionable" Facebook post on Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah and Chirala MLA Amanchi Krishna Mohan.
She was produced before Prakasham district magistrate at his residence last evening who remanded her to 12-day judicial custody, police said today.
"Jaya Vindhayala has been shifted to the district prison", Prakasam SP K Raghuram Reddy said.
He informed that the court is hearing the bail application moved by Vindhayala`s counsel today.
Meanwhile, police have sent a requisition to the security wing of Facebook, seeking to remove the "objectionable and defamatory" post from the public domain, Reddy said.
Police said a case was registered in this regard on April 18 following a complaint by the Chirala MLA and during the course of investigation it was found that Vindhayala had posted the "objectionable" comments.
Jaya Vindhayala had allegedly distributed pamphlets making objectionable allegations against Rosaiah and Krishna Mohan earlier in Chirala town in Prakasam district before posting the comments online, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!