Final arguments in passport case involving Salem
Hyderabad: A special CBI court here on Tuesday
heard the final arguments in the alleged fake passport case
involving extradited gangster Abu Salem.
The prosecution (CBI) submitted its arguments and
explained to the court about the alleged conspiracy of Salem
to obtain three passports (including one for his wife and
girlfriend Monica Bedi) from the Hyderabad Regional Passport
Office in connivance with some government officials and
private persons in 2001.
CBI senior counsel TV Ramana said that the fake passport
case was transferred to the central agency from the state
police in October 2002 and a charge sheet was filed in 2004
against 10 accused, while six of the accused faced trial and
two were acquitted.
Judge Naga Maruti Sarma sought to know from th
prosecution whether the CBI was in possession of the fake
passport of Salem and status of similar cases he was facing
around the country. The judge also inquired with regard to
extradition proceeding of Salem from Portugal.
The court after hearing the prosecution arguments posted
the matter for January 12. Salem was present in the court hall
during the proceedings.
Trial against Salem for obtaining a passport under a
fictitious name in 2001 from Kurnool district of Andhra
Pradesh began in Hyderabad in 2009. Salem is accused of
impersonating as Ramil Kamil for obtaining the passport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch