Final arguments in passport case involving Salem
Hyderabad: A special CBI court here on Tuesday
heard the final arguments in the alleged fake passport case
involving extradited gangster Abu Salem.
The prosecution (CBI) submitted its arguments and
explained to the court about the alleged conspiracy of Salem
to obtain three passports (including one for his wife and
girlfriend Monica Bedi) from the Hyderabad Regional Passport
Office in connivance with some government officials and
private persons in 2001.
CBI senior counsel TV Ramana said that the fake passport
case was transferred to the central agency from the state
police in October 2002 and a charge sheet was filed in 2004
against 10 accused, while six of the accused faced trial and
two were acquitted.
Judge Naga Maruti Sarma sought to know from th
prosecution whether the CBI was in possession of the fake
passport of Salem and status of similar cases he was facing
around the country. The judge also inquired with regard to
extradition proceeding of Salem from Portugal.
The court after hearing the prosecution arguments posted
the matter for January 12. Salem was present in the court hall
during the proceedings.
Trial against Salem for obtaining a passport under a
fictitious name in 2001 from Kurnool district of Andhra
Pradesh began in Hyderabad in 2009. Salem is accused of
impersonating as Ramil Kamil for obtaining the passport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter