Final arguments in passport case involving Salem
Hyderabad: A special CBI court here on Tuesday
heard the final arguments in the alleged fake passport case
involving extradited gangster Abu Salem.
The prosecution (CBI) submitted its arguments and
explained to the court about the alleged conspiracy of Salem
to obtain three passports (including one for his wife and
girlfriend Monica Bedi) from the Hyderabad Regional Passport
Office in connivance with some government officials and
private persons in 2001.
CBI senior counsel TV Ramana said that the fake passport
case was transferred to the central agency from the state
police in October 2002 and a charge sheet was filed in 2004
against 10 accused, while six of the accused faced trial and
two were acquitted.
Judge Naga Maruti Sarma sought to know from th
prosecution whether the CBI was in possession of the fake
passport of Salem and status of similar cases he was facing
around the country. The judge also inquired with regard to
extradition proceeding of Salem from Portugal.
The court after hearing the prosecution arguments posted
the matter for January 12. Salem was present in the court hall
during the proceedings.
Trial against Salem for obtaining a passport under a
fictitious name in 2001 from Kurnool district of Andhra
Pradesh began in Hyderabad in 2009. Salem is accused of
impersonating as Ramil Kamil for obtaining the passport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!