Final search begins to locate survivors of AP boat tragedy
Eluru: Authorities on Sunday launched a
final search operation to locate survivors and those missing,
if any, after 11 pilgrims met a watery grave when an
overcrowded boat capsized in Godavari river in West Godavari
district of Andhra Pradesh yesterday.
"We resumed the search operation in early morning. As per
our reports there are no more missing people. The search
operation will continue till evening," Eluru Range DIG Mahesh
Bhagwath told a news agency over phone, adding expert divers from Navy
were involved in the rescue efforts.
The country-made boat ferrying over 50 persons overturned
in the river near Biyyaputeppa village, about 120 km from
Rescuers recovered 11 bodies including that of five women
and five children (in the age-group of 3 to 50) from the
Bhagwath said the boat was meant for fishing and was
supposed to carry only 15 persons.
He denied reports that some persons drowned after they
got trapped in fishing nets spread in the river. The main
reason for the tragedy was overcapacity of the boat, Bhagwath
The victims, mostly belonging to fishermen`s families
from Upputeru and nearby villages were going to have a holy
dip at a temple in Antarvedi when the mishap occurred.
However, 40 persons managed to swim to safety with the
help of villagers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Manchester United invite Pakistan cricket team for a visit at Old Trafford football stadium – See pics!
- Explosion near reception centre for refugees in Zirndorfin of southern Germany
- Italy expels imam who named daughter Jihad
- Assam reels under massive flood; 1.5 million affected
- ENG vs PAK: England all-rounder Ben Stokes ruled out of third test with calf injury