Fire at Sriharikota Space Centre’s godown
Hyderabad: Fire broke out Thursday morning at a godown of a private agency at Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh, destroying spare parts and machinery components stored inside, police said.
Nobody was injured in the mishap, they said, a short circuit is believed to be the cause of the fire that broke out about 6 AM.
The private agency was responsible for maintenance of the propellant plant at the Space Centre, commonly known as SHAR (Sriharikota Range).
The CISF personnel brought the fire under control within 30 minutes, a senior police officer said.
The officials of the agency initially said some ledger books and furniture were burnt in the incident, but later, in the police complaint, stated that spare parts and components of some machines, worth around Rs 1 crore, were gutted.
"We are conducting further probe," district Superintendent of Police P V S Ramakrishna told.
Senior officials of the Space Centre inspected the site.
The Space Centre, which was popularly known as SHAR (Sriharikota Range), was renamed as `Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR` on September 5,2002, in the fond memory of Prof Satish Dhawan, former Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read