Five aircraft, a chopper gutted in Hyderabad airport fire
Hyderabad: Five aircraft and a helicopter, which flies the Andhra Pradesh chief minister, were gutted in a major fire at old Hyderabad airport late Monday night, officials said Tuesday.
There are no reports of any casualties in the fire that broke out around midnight at the maintenance shed of Andhra Pradesh Aviation Academy at the airport located in the heart of the city at Begumpet, popularly known as Begumpet airport.
Minister for Ports and Airports G. Srinivasa Rao told reporters Tuesday that five trainee aircraft of the academy and an Augusta Westland helicopter of the state government were destroyed in the fire.
The 15-seater Augusta AW 139 was purchased by the state government in 2008 from Augusta Westland Italy for Rs 63 crore.
The minister said the chopper was insured and the government would claim the money.
Ten fire engines battled the blaze for over four hours to bring it under control.
The fire fighting personnel remained at the scene Tuesday morning to completely douse the blaze.
The airport was being used for non-commercial purpose since 2008 when the new airport became operational at Shamshabad, about 30 km from the city.
Besides, the Aviation Academy, the Begumpet airport is used for VIP flights, private chartered aircraft and by the Indian Air Force.
Media persons were not allowed inside the airport area and the officials were also tight lipped about the exact damages or what triggered the inferno.
The huge flames and explosions spread panic among people in Bowenpalli and surrounding areas in Secunderabad.
The state government has ordered a high-level probe into the incident.
The home secretary will head the investigations to find out if there was any sabotage or it was only an electrical short circuit, said the minister.
Several parts of other aircraft and equipment kept at the hangar were also destroyed.
"Everything is reduced to ashes," said an official after visiting the site.
The presence of large quantity of aviation fuel made the task of fire fighting more difficult. Eye witnesses said within a few seconds, the fire engulfed the entire area.
The minister said they would make alternate arrangements for the chief minister`s travel.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who is currently visiting Visakhapatnam, was using the spacious helicopter, which can fly long distance and also has the provision of power point presentation.
His predecessors K Rosaiah and YS Rajasekhara Reddy also used to fly in Augusta AW 139. Though it was purchased during Rajasekhara Reddy`s tenure, he was using both the new one as well as Bell 430.
Reddy was killed on Sep 2, 2009, when the Bell helicopter crashed in bad weather in Kurnool district.
Augusta was also used for rescue and relief operations in the floods in Kurnool district in 2009 and after the Maoist attack on policemen in Andhra-Orissa border area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow