Five aircraft damaged in Begumpet airport fire
Hyderabad: In a major fire mishap, a chopper of the Andhra Pradesh government, meant for the use of Chief Minister, and five other aircraft parked in a hangar of the old airport at Begumpet here were destroyed.
The fire broke out around last midnight and it soon engulfed the hangar resulting in complete collapse of the shed, state fire department sources said.
Residents of the nearby locality claimed explosions were also heard.
According to sources, 10 fire tenders from the state fire department and some other fire engines of the air force station at Hakimpet managed to bring the blaze under control after about three hours.
"The Augusta (Westland) helicopter of the state government and five other small aircraft of the aviation academy were destroyed in the fire. We will conduct a high-level inquiry by a senior official like (state) Home Secretary to find out the reasons for the fire and whether there is any sabotage angle etc," Ganta Srinivasa Rao, Andhra Pradesh Minister for Infrastructure and Ports told reporters in Visakhapatnam.
The helicopter was purchased in 2009 at an approximate cost of Rs 63 crores. Though we have insurance for it, this incident is very unfortunate. This incident occurred in a hangar in the airport. We need to bring out the truth by conducting an inquiry. Alternative arrangements will be made for Chief Minister’s travel, he said.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who is presently touring Visakhapatnam district as part of his ?Indiramma Bata? mass-contact programme, took stock of the situation and ordered a CID inquiry into the incident.
In 2008, the airport at Begumpet was closed for normal passenger services as the international airport came up at Shamshabad on city outskirts.
The Begumpet airport is now used for VIP travel besides training purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark