Five injured in attack by YSR Congress
Kadapa: Five persons, including three policemen, were injured when they were allegedly attacked by YSR Congress Party workers at Ambakappali village, around 130 kms from here, in Kadapa district, police said Tuesday.
Police sub-inspector Ramesh Babu sustained head injuries while others, including a head constable, a constable and two jawans of Homeguard, were also hurt in the attack that took place last evening, Kadapa SP Manish Kumar said.
The police team had gone to the village in connection with the death of a YSR Congress worker in a road accident, he said.
According to police, the workers had consumed liquor after a YSR Congress Party leader got elected as sarpanch of the village unopposed and apparently attacked the policemen when they started inquiring about `belt shops`--unauthorised liquor retail outlets---in the village, Kumar said.
Babu fired one round in air when the mob hurled stones at the police party.
Later, he was rushed to Pulivendula government hospital, the SP said, adding that a case has been registered against 40 people in this regard.
Kadapa Lok Sabha seat is represented by jailed MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part V
- DNA: AgustaWestland creates chaos in Parliament
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 6
- DNA: Loans costing farmers their lives; govt keeps mum
- DNA: Today in History | April 27, 2016
- Security beefed in Manipur areas after three murders
- Ability to smell food through mouth may decline with age
- Transplantation along highways could be linked to NREGA: Minister
- 8 die of sunstroke as heat wave continues in Odisha
- IPL 2016, Match 23: Chris Morris' 82 off 32 not enough for Delhi; Gujarat win by 1 run