Five injured in attack by YSR Congress
Kadapa: Five persons, including three policemen, were injured when they were allegedly attacked by YSR Congress Party workers at Ambakappali village, around 130 kms from here, in Kadapa district, police said Tuesday.
Police sub-inspector Ramesh Babu sustained head injuries while others, including a head constable, a constable and two jawans of Homeguard, were also hurt in the attack that took place last evening, Kadapa SP Manish Kumar said.
The police team had gone to the village in connection with the death of a YSR Congress worker in a road accident, he said.
According to police, the workers had consumed liquor after a YSR Congress Party leader got elected as sarpanch of the village unopposed and apparently attacked the policemen when they started inquiring about `belt shops`--unauthorised liquor retail outlets---in the village, Kumar said.
Babu fired one round in air when the mob hurled stones at the police party.
Later, he was rushed to Pulivendula government hospital, the SP said, adding that a case has been registered against 40 people in this regard.
Kadapa Lok Sabha seat is represented by jailed MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender