Five injured in attack by YSR Congress
Kadapa: Five persons, including three policemen, were injured when they were allegedly attacked by YSR Congress Party workers at Ambakappali village, around 130 kms from here, in Kadapa district, police said Tuesday.
Police sub-inspector Ramesh Babu sustained head injuries while others, including a head constable, a constable and two jawans of Homeguard, were also hurt in the attack that took place last evening, Kadapa SP Manish Kumar said.
The police team had gone to the village in connection with the death of a YSR Congress worker in a road accident, he said.
According to police, the workers had consumed liquor after a YSR Congress Party leader got elected as sarpanch of the village unopposed and apparently attacked the policemen when they started inquiring about `belt shops`--unauthorised liquor retail outlets---in the village, Kumar said.
Babu fired one round in air when the mob hurled stones at the police party.
Later, he was rushed to Pulivendula government hospital, the SP said, adding that a case has been registered against 40 people in this regard.
Kadapa Lok Sabha seat is represented by jailed MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!