Forest officer killed, seven injured in attack by villagers in AP
Hyderabad: A Forest Range Officer (FRO) was killed and seven other officials were injured in an attack allegedly by a group of villagers in Andhra Pradesh`s Nizamabad district, police said on Sunday.
The incident occurred at about 12.30 AM when the Dichpalle FRO along with 11-member forest staff went to Nallavelli village of KK Thanda (hamlet) of Dharpally mandal on information that villagers had occupied forest land and begun cultivation, Nizamabad District Superintendent of Police KV Mohan Rao told a news agency.
"A group of villagers assaulted the forest officials with sticks and axe in which FRO Gangaiah (42) sustained severe head injuries and died on the spot, while seven others who also suffered injuries in the incident were rushed to Nizamabad government hospital," the SP said.
The forest officials found that the villagers had begun ploughing on the forest area, he said.
Four villagers were arrested in connection with the attack and special teams were formed to nab others accused, police said, adding they have registered a case of murder and under other relevant sections of Indian Penal Code.
A forest official, who was injured in the incident and undergoing treatment at the hospital said they were attacked with sticks and axe by the group of villagers, who also threw chilly powder on them before fleeing, and their vehicle was also damaged.
Senior forest and police officials rushed to the village and were monitoring the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea