Former Andhra minister gets bail in Jagan case
Hyderabad: A special court Monday granted bail to former Andhra Pradesh minister Mopidevi Venkatramna in a disproportionate assets case involving YSR Congress party chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
The CBI court directed him not to leave Hyderabad without its permission and cooperate with the investigation agency.
The court earlier granted 45-day interim bail to the former minister on health grounds. He, however, surrendered before the court Oct 25, eight days before his interim bail period ended. He subsequently moved a bail petition.
The CBI arrested Mopidevi May 24 last year when he was serving as the minister for excise. He resigned as minister the next day.
The CBI charged Mopidevi with violating rules while allotting land and extending some concessions to VANPIC, a mega port and infrastructure project promoted by industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad, for the alleged investment Prasad made in the companies owned by Jaganmohan Reddy.
Mopidevi was then holding infrastructure and investment portfolio in the cabinet of then chief minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy, father of Jaganmohan Reddy.
The court last month released on bail Jaganmohan Reddy, who spent nearly 16 months in jail. The court earlier this month also granted bail to Jaganmohan Reddy`s aide Vijay Sai Reddy, Nimmagadda Prasad and bureaucrat K.V. Brahmananda Reddy.
The CBI has filed 10 charge sheets in various aspects of the case relating to quid pro quo investments. According to the investigating agency, the government of Rajasekhara Reddy (2004-09) granted undue favours to companies and individuals who invested in the businesses of his son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!