Former Andhra minister held in dowry harassment case
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh minister and sitting Congress MLA P Shankar Rao was on Monday arrested in connection with a dowry harassment case lodged against him by his daughter-in-law, a senior police officer said.
Rao, who represents Secunderabad Cantonment constituency, was apprehended from his residence in Musheerabad by the sleuths of Central Crime Station (CCS), he said.
The MLA was booked for criminal intimidation and threatening the witnesses after CCS police slapped one more case against him over the allegation that he threatened his daughter-in-law Vamsi Priya and her family members for withdrawing earlier complaint lodged against him, the officer said.
Rao was granted anticipatory bail by sessions court here last month on two sureties of Rs 10,000 each after he surrendered before the Women Police Station (WPS) attached to Central Crime Station.
Vamsi Priya in her complaint to WPS had alleged that she was being harassed by her husband Shashank and his parents since her marriage in 2005.
On June 19, Andhra Pradesh high court had issued notices to DGP V Dinesh Reddy, Shankar Rao and his family members, along with the station house officer of WPS at CCS, directing them to respond to a petition filed by Vamsi Priya.
In her petition, Vamsi Priya charged her in-laws of physical and mental harassment and accused police of inaction.
Rao is also an accused in the Greenfields land encroachment case, along with his brother Dayanand.
The CID investigation disclosed that Rao had abused his official position as an MLA to "grab" 70 acres of government land at Khanajiguda near Alwal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list