Former Andhra minister held in dowry harassment case
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh minister and sitting Congress MLA P Shankar Rao was on Monday arrested in connection with a dowry harassment case lodged against him by his daughter-in-law, a senior police officer said.
Rao, who represents Secunderabad Cantonment constituency, was apprehended from his residence in Musheerabad by the sleuths of Central Crime Station (CCS), he said.
The MLA was booked for criminal intimidation and threatening the witnesses after CCS police slapped one more case against him over the allegation that he threatened his daughter-in-law Vamsi Priya and her family members for withdrawing earlier complaint lodged against him, the officer said.
Rao was granted anticipatory bail by sessions court here last month on two sureties of Rs 10,000 each after he surrendered before the Women Police Station (WPS) attached to Central Crime Station.
Vamsi Priya in her complaint to WPS had alleged that she was being harassed by her husband Shashank and his parents since her marriage in 2005.
On June 19, Andhra Pradesh high court had issued notices to DGP V Dinesh Reddy, Shankar Rao and his family members, along with the station house officer of WPS at CCS, directing them to respond to a petition filed by Vamsi Priya.
In her petition, Vamsi Priya charged her in-laws of physical and mental harassment and accused police of inaction.
Rao is also an accused in the Greenfields land encroachment case, along with his brother Dayanand.
The CID investigation disclosed that Rao had abused his official position as an MLA to "grab" 70 acres of government land at Khanajiguda near Alwal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH