Former Andhra minister joins TRS
Hyderabad: Former Andhra minister Konda Surekha and her husband Konda Murali Tuesday joined the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS).
Surekha and Murali, a former legislator, had quit the YSR Congress party last year after it opposed formation of separate Telangana state and rejoined the Congress party, which they had left in 2009.
However, as the Congress reportedly refused to field Surekha from an assembly constituency in Warangal district, they joined TRS.
The couple took the decision after meeting TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao at the latter`s residence here Tuesday. The TRS has reportedly promised party ticket from Warangal East assembly constituency and assured that her husband would be nominated to the legislative council.
Konda Surekha, however, claimed that they were not joining TRS for any post. She told reporters that TRS alone is capable of transforming Telangana into a golden state.
Chandrasekhara Rao`s son and TRS leader K Tarakarama Rao said this would strengthen the party in Warangal district.
Surekha had resigned from the cabinet in October 2009 after Congress leadership refused to make YS Jaganmohan Reddy the chief minister following the death of his father YS Rajasekhara Reddy in a helicopter crash in 2009. She had also quit Congress to join YSR Congress floated by Jaganmohan Reddy in 2010.
After their resignation from YSR Congress, the couple had returned to Congress fold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened