Former Andhra minister joins TRS
Hyderabad: Former Andhra minister Konda Surekha and her husband Konda Murali Tuesday joined the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS).
Surekha and Murali, a former legislator, had quit the YSR Congress party last year after it opposed formation of separate Telangana state and rejoined the Congress party, which they had left in 2009.
However, as the Congress reportedly refused to field Surekha from an assembly constituency in Warangal district, they joined TRS.
The couple took the decision after meeting TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao at the latter`s residence here Tuesday. The TRS has reportedly promised party ticket from Warangal East assembly constituency and assured that her husband would be nominated to the legislative council.
Konda Surekha, however, claimed that they were not joining TRS for any post. She told reporters that TRS alone is capable of transforming Telangana into a golden state.
Chandrasekhara Rao`s son and TRS leader K Tarakarama Rao said this would strengthen the party in Warangal district.
Surekha had resigned from the cabinet in October 2009 after Congress leadership refused to make YS Jaganmohan Reddy the chief minister following the death of his father YS Rajasekhara Reddy in a helicopter crash in 2009. She had also quit Congress to join YSR Congress floated by Jaganmohan Reddy in 2010.
After their resignation from YSR Congress, the couple had returned to Congress fold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says