Former Maoist Ganti Prasadam is dead
Hyderabad: Former Maoist leader Ganti Prasada Rao alias Prasadam, who was shot at and critically injured by unidentified people in Nellore Thursday, succumbed to his injuries early Friday, police said.
Ganti Prasadam, as he was popularly known, died while undergoing treatment at Narayana Hospital in Nellore town, about 500 km from here. He was 50.
The body was sent for autopsy. His family members said the body would be taken to his native place Bobbili in Srikakulam district, where the last rites will be performed Saturday.
Prasadam was a poet and convenor of the Martyr`s Committee of Friends and Relatives, a group representing kin of Maoists killed in shoot-outs with police.
He was released in 2011 along with some other Maoists in exchange for the release of then collector of Odisha`s Malkangiri district RV Krishna from the ultra`s captivity.
Prasadam was attacked with a knife by three unidentified people, who also fired three rounds at him.
Police said the assailants escaped after the attack and the attempts were on to apprehend them.
Prasadam was in Nellore to attend a "Martyrs` Day" meeting of Virasam, an association of revolutionary writers. After attending the meeting he had gone to Nellore hospital to call on an ailing relative of a Maoist. He was attacked soon after he emerged from the hospital.
Virasam leaders Varavara Rao, Kalyan Rao, revolutionary balladeer Gaddar and leaders of various rights` groups have blamed the police for Prasadam`s killing. "All the leaders speaking on behalf of people and the revolutionary movement are being eliminated by the state," Kalyan Rao said in Nellore.
Condemning the killing, Gaddar, who had escaped in an assassination attempt 15 years ago, said the people would teach a lesson to the government.
The police, however, have denied the allegations and said they were trying their best to track down the culprits.
Prasadam had taken active part in in the Maoist movement in early 1990s as a leader of then CPI-ML People`s War. He later joined the mainstream and floated the Martyrs` Committee to claim the bodies of the Maoists killed in shoot-outs with the police.
Ganti Prasadam, along with some other Maoists, was released from jail in Odisha in 2011 after Maoists had kidnapped Collector Krishna.
The collector was released after nine-days of captivity when the Odisha government met the Maoists` demands that also included the release of Padma, wife of top Maoist leader Ramakrishna and another ultrra, Sriramulu Srinivas.
A native of Bobbili in Vizianagaram district, Ganti Prasadam was arrested by Odisha Police from Visakhapatnam in 2010 a few days after Padma and three others were caught at Similiguda in Koraput district.
Padma was allegedly on her way to meet her husband in Narayanpatna forests. Prasadam was said to have facilitated the visit.
He had been lodged in Koraput jail till Jan 5, 2011 before Andhra Pradesh Police took him to Ongole in connection with the 1997 railway track explosion at Julmaly in Guntur district.
He was brought back to Odisha in February 2011 after Maoists demanded his release. The Odisha High Court had granted him bail.
He was also an accused in various cases including the attack on then Superintendent of Police of Prakasam district, Mahesh Chandra Ladha, in 2005.
He along with five others was an accused in Aurangabad conspiracy case. The police had charged them procuring arms, men and ammunition to wage war against the government of India. In 2010, a court acquitted them for lack of evidence.
Prasadam`s brother Ramesh, alias Rajanna, also a Maoist, was killed in a shoot-out with police in 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly