Former SIMI chief remanded to 5 day police custody
Hyderabad: A local court on Thursday remanded Syed
Salahuddin Salar, an accused in the 2002 Sai Baba Temple blast
case and a former All India president of the banned Student`s
Islamic Movement of India (SIMI), in five days police custody.
Andhra Pradesh Crime Investigation Department (CID) had
yesterday filed a petition with the Fifth Additional Chief
Metropolitan Magistrate court seeking 10-day police custody of
Salahuddin. However, the court granted five-day police custody
from today, a CID official said.
Salahuddin had been absconding ever since an IED exploded
at the Sai Baba temple on November 21, 2002, killing two
persons and injuring 22 others.
Salahuddin was arrested by the CID officials from Madhya
Pradesh for his "involvement" in the temple blast case and
brought to Hyderabad on Monday last.
The defence, in the meanwhile, alleged that "though we
represented the court this morning to submit our arguments
(opposing the police custody), the presiding officer passed
the orders granting police custody."
However, the court allowed another petition towards
medical treatment of Salahuddin, defence counsel MA Azeem
A senior police officer, said through the custody, police
wanted to interrogate Salahuddin thoroughly with regard to his
involvement in the Sai Baba temple blast case and on the role
of other accused in the explosion and other such matters.
Salahuddin`s name had figured in the confession of an
accused who was earlier arrested in the blast case. Salahuddin
was deported from Dubai last month and was arrested by the
Madhya Pradesh Police in Kochi on June 26 and taken to Ujjain.
Two alleged Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives, Syed Aziz and
Mohd Azam, who allegedly played a key role in carrying out the
blast, were earlier killed in separate encounters with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur