Former YSR Congress supporters join Telangana Rashtra Samiti
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh minister Konda Surekha, who was once a supporter of the Jaganmohan Reddy-led YSR Congress, joined the K Chandrasekhar Rao-led Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) here on Tuesday.
Surekha had quit as minister in support of Jaganmohan Reddy, when K Rosaiah of the Congress was Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, to subsequently join the YSR Congress.
However, she and her husband Konda Murali, fell out with the YSR Congress and returned to the Congress.
The couple were senior Congress leaders in their native Warangal district and their admission into the TRS is being seen as an asset for the party.
Surekha, who joined the TRS in the presence of its president K Chandrasekhar Rao, expressed confidence that rapid development of the new state would be possible.
TRS is now hoping to emerge as the dominant force in Telangana after the elections after ruling out merger or even an electoral alliance with the Congress.
Several MLAs and other leaders from the Chandrababu Naidu-led Telugu Desam Party (TDP) have also joined the TRS in recent times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman
- Merkel aide says cannot confirm Munich shooting was terrorism
- US stocks hit new records; weak British data hits pound
- Whirlpool's biggest challenge is rapid changes in global markets: CEO
- Russia facing Rio Olympic, Paralympic ban