Four in fray for Nandigama Assembly bypoll
Vijayawada: Four candidates are in the fray in Nandigama Assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh, where bye-election will take place next month.
Today was the last day for withdrawal of nominations. A total of six nominations were filed of which two were rejected, an election official said.
Tangirala Sowmya (TDP), Bodapati Babu Rao (Congress) Katarapu Pullaih and Matangi Pulla Rao (both Independents) will fight it out for the Assembly segment where polling will take place on September 13.
The vote count will take place on September 16.
The seat in Krishna district fell vacant due to the sudden demise of Tangirala Prabhakara Rao, who was elected from there on TDP ticket for the second time. He died on June 15 even before taking oath as a legislator.
Sowmya is the daughter of Prabhakara Rao.
Main Opposition YSR Congress has decided not to contest the bye-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre