Four in fray for Nandigama Assembly bypoll
Vijayawada: Four candidates are in the fray in Nandigama Assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh, where bye-election will take place next month.
Today was the last day for withdrawal of nominations. A total of six nominations were filed of which two were rejected, an election official said.
Tangirala Sowmya (TDP), Bodapati Babu Rao (Congress) Katarapu Pullaih and Matangi Pulla Rao (both Independents) will fight it out for the Assembly segment where polling will take place on September 13.
The vote count will take place on September 16.
The seat in Krishna district fell vacant due to the sudden demise of Tangirala Prabhakara Rao, who was elected from there on TDP ticket for the second time. He died on June 15 even before taking oath as a legislator.
Sowmya is the daughter of Prabhakara Rao.
Main Opposition YSR Congress has decided not to contest the bye-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees