Four in fray for Nandigama Assembly bypoll
Vijayawada: Four candidates are in the fray in Nandigama Assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh, where bye-election will take place next month.
Today was the last day for withdrawal of nominations. A total of six nominations were filed of which two were rejected, an election official said.
Tangirala Sowmya (TDP), Bodapati Babu Rao (Congress) Katarapu Pullaih and Matangi Pulla Rao (both Independents) will fight it out for the Assembly segment where polling will take place on September 13.
The vote count will take place on September 16.
The seat in Krishna district fell vacant due to the sudden demise of Tangirala Prabhakara Rao, who was elected from there on TDP ticket for the second time. He died on June 15 even before taking oath as a legislator.
Sowmya is the daughter of Prabhakara Rao.
Main Opposition YSR Congress has decided not to contest the bye-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers