Four killed in AP in rain-related mishaps; cyclone weakens
Hyderabad: Four persons were killed in the state on Thursday as rain continued to lash various parts of Andhra Pradesh under the influence of cyclone `Nilam.`
Three of the deaths were on account of electrocution, while another person was killed after a wall collapsed, in the districts of Prakasam, Nellore and Anantapur, officials said.
Incidents of house collapse and cattle loss were also reported.
`Nilam` crossed north Tamil Nadu coast near Mahabalipuram, south of Chennai, between 4 pm and 5 pm yesterday.
Contrary to fears, the cyclonic storm has not caused much damage so far. It weakened into a depression over Rayalaseema region of Andhra Pradesh and lay centred near Chitradurga this morning, officials said, adding that it would move northwestwards and weaken further into a low pressure area during the next 12 hours.
Heavy rain occurred in Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra districts today. Normal life was badly affected in the rain-hit districts as low-lying areas and important roads were inundated.
Standing paddy, banana and other crops were badly damaged at various places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city