Four women kidnapped from rescue home in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: Unidentified men attacked a rescue home and kidnapped four trafficked women at Ramanthapur area here early Saturday, police said.
A group of eight men barged into `Ujjawala` rescue home after breaking open the doors and took away four women after beating up the inmates and damaging the furniture.
The other inmates of the rescue home, run by the state government with the support of an NGO, told police that two of the women were from Kolkata, one Bangladeshi and another from Mumbai.
The group, suspected to be members of a Mumbai mafia gang, allegedly tried to kidnap 10 women but six of them managed to escape. Some of the women who tried to resist the kidnappers sustained injuries.
The home had 21 women rescued by the police from trafficking in the past and were being tried in local courts.
Tension prevailed in the area as some activists of women organisations thrashed Satyanarayana Reddy, manager of the rescue home, blaming him for the kidnappings. Police intervened and took him away for questioning.
Women`s groups alleged that the manager colluded with the kidnappers.
The attack shocked the other women, who rued that they lacked protection even at the rescue home.
"Some of us are lying here for one year without bail and we don`t even have protection," complained one of the inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon