French award for Anjali Gopalan
New Delhi: France on Friday awarded its highest civilian award `Chevalier de la Legion d`Honneur` to Anjali Gopalan for her work on transgenders and HIV positive patients.
Presenting the award here at a function, French Cabinet Minister for Women`s Rights Najat Vallaud-Belkacem said "I admire the work carried out by Anjali."
She said Gopalan started her career as a social worker in New York where she worked for migrants from South-East Asia who lacked valid documents.
She later started the Naz Foundation that changed the lives of transgenders, homosexuals and those with HIV positive, the minister said.
Accepting the honour, Gopalan said she will keep doing the work in this field. She said she is in the process of starting a home care centre for HIV positive patients.
Referring to last year`s Delhi gangrape case, the minister said "it is important to change mentality of both boys and girls. They need to be sensitised at an early age that both are equal."
She said in France alone, 250 cases of rape are reported every day and in 80 per cent of the cases the victim knows the perpetrator.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral