Fresh clash in Osmania; Telangana panel to step up stir
Hyderabad: A fresh clash broke out on Monday
between students and security men in Osmania University here,
leaving a dozen security personnel and a few mediapersons
injured, as the all-party committee spearheading the Telangana
statehood agitation threatened to intensify the stir.
Students in large number gathered in the university,
the nerve-centre of separate Telangana agitation, and hurled
stones at the security personnel, including state police and
personnel of central para-military force, DCP (East Zone)
Mahesh Chandra Ladda said.
The stone pelting resulted in injuries to about 12
security personnel, he said. The policemen observed "utmost
restraint" and tried to disperse the protesters by using tear
gas shells, he said, adding no student was injured.
About reports that police cane-charged the students
and that some mediapersons were also hurt, he replied in the
negative. The scribes may have suffered injuries as they were
caught in between the security men and students, he said.
Meanwhile, the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC)
said it would step up its agitation for a separate state
though its directive to the MLAs and MLCs to quit to mount
pressure on the Centre got a "lukewarm" response.
JAC Convener C Kodandaram told reporters that the
committee would gradually intensify its agitation by adopting
an "innovative" programme of non-cooperation with the public
representatives who do not quit their posts.
Rejecting the terms of reference of the Srikrishna
Committee set up by the Centre to examine the Telangana issue
as also an united Andhra Pradesh, the JAC had asked the public
representatives in Telangana to quit to mount pressure on the
Centre for taking immediate steps for formation of a separate
Accordingly, 15 MLAs, including two from ruling
Congress, have submitted their resignations to the Speaker.
The fresh clash came a day after over 22 people,
including five media men and 11 security personnel, were
injured when students agitating over creation of a separate
Telangana hurled stones at them in the university campus.
Security personnel launched a lathicharge, fired
rubber bullets and tear gas shells when students, defying
prohibitory orders, pelted stones at them and tried to take
out a procession in support of JAC legislators who resigned
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm