Fresh clash in Osmania; Telangana panel to step up stir
Hyderabad: A fresh clash broke out on Monday
between students and security men in Osmania University here,
leaving a dozen security personnel and a few mediapersons
injured, as the all-party committee spearheading the Telangana
statehood agitation threatened to intensify the stir.
Students in large number gathered in the university,
the nerve-centre of separate Telangana agitation, and hurled
stones at the security personnel, including state police and
personnel of central para-military force, DCP (East Zone)
Mahesh Chandra Ladda said.
The stone pelting resulted in injuries to about 12
security personnel, he said. The policemen observed "utmost
restraint" and tried to disperse the protesters by using tear
gas shells, he said, adding no student was injured.
About reports that police cane-charged the students
and that some mediapersons were also hurt, he replied in the
negative. The scribes may have suffered injuries as they were
caught in between the security men and students, he said.
Meanwhile, the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC)
said it would step up its agitation for a separate state
though its directive to the MLAs and MLCs to quit to mount
pressure on the Centre got a "lukewarm" response.
JAC Convener C Kodandaram told reporters that the
committee would gradually intensify its agitation by adopting
an "innovative" programme of non-cooperation with the public
representatives who do not quit their posts.
Rejecting the terms of reference of the Srikrishna
Committee set up by the Centre to examine the Telangana issue
as also an united Andhra Pradesh, the JAC had asked the public
representatives in Telangana to quit to mount pressure on the
Centre for taking immediate steps for formation of a separate
Accordingly, 15 MLAs, including two from ruling
Congress, have submitted their resignations to the Speaker.
The fresh clash came a day after over 22 people,
including five media men and 11 security personnel, were
injured when students agitating over creation of a separate
Telangana hurled stones at them in the university campus.
Security personnel launched a lathicharge, fired
rubber bullets and tear gas shells when students, defying
prohibitory orders, pelted stones at them and tried to take
out a procession in support of JAC legislators who resigned
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!