Funds under SC/ST sub-plans diverted: MIM leader
Hyderabad: Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen floor leader Akbaruddin Owaisi has criticised Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy alleging that funds not only under SC and ST sub-plans but also those meant for welfare of minorities were diverted in the last eight years.
Owaisi targeted Reddy and levelled the allegations during the debate on the SC and ST Sub-Plans Bill in the state Assembly yesterday.
The seven-member MIM, which withdrew support to the Congress last month, came down heavily on the government in general and the Chief Minister in particular, alleging that funds not only under SC and ST sub-plans but also those meant for welfare of minorities were diverted in the last eight years.
"The Chief Minister is such a failure that he could not conduct meeting of the apex committee on SC and ST sub-plans even once in the last two years. This shows how sincere the government is towards SC and ST welfare," Akbaruddin remarked in a mocking tone.
He went on to add that funds meant for welfare of minorities too were diverted for other purposes.
Intervening at that point, the Chief Minister sought to say his government was committed to minority welfare and enhanced budgetary allocation significantly.
He also tried to hit back at Akbaruddin saying the MIM increased its strength in the Assembly from two to seven only with the support of the Congress.
At that point, Akbaruddin stepped up his attack asserting that the MIM won seven seats (in 2009) on its own strength.
"We never had any alliance with the Congress. In fact, it was the Congress that allied with TRS and other parties. We supported Congress only as a post-poll strategy. In the next elections, MIM will win 15 seats and Congress will be reduced to just 20," Akbaruddin retorted.
The MIM leader also pointed out that the Congress could not secure victory of even one Muslim candidate in the Telangana region.
"If the government is implementing four per cent reservation for Muslims in Andhra Pradesh, it`s only because of the MIM. Why did the Congress not provide reservation for Muslims in New Delhi, Rajasthan and Maharashtra," he asked.
The treasuries benches had no answer to this even as Akbaruddin exhorted SCs and STs to come together and emerge as a potent political force in concert with Muslims to grab power.
"Only then justice will be done to these sections," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM