GAIL fire: Compensation cheques given to affected families
Rajahmundry: Gas Authority of India on Monday distributed ex-gratia amount of over Rs 4.60 crore to the next of kin of the deceased and families of those injured in the devastating fire at the company`s pipeline in a village in East Godavari district last week.
Andhra Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister N Chinna Rajappa distributed the compensation cheques to members of the affected families here in the presence of?officials from GAIL and district administration.
At least 20 people have died so far in the tragedy, which took place when an apparently leaking GAIL pipeline passing through Nagaram village under Mamidikuduru mandal caught fire on June 27. The number of injured stood at 19.
"A sum of Rs 23 lakh (Rs 20 lakh from GAIL and Rs 3 lakh from AP Government) each has been paid to the next of kin of the dead and Rs 50,000?each to those who suffered severe burns and undergoing treatment at Amalapuram, Kakinada and Rajahmundry hospitals," the Deputy chief Minister said.
Rajappa, who is also the Home Minister, said the State Government is making efforts to get Rs 2 lakh each more as ex- gratia to the families of the deceased from the Centre.
Speaking on the occasion, the Deputy CM asked the oil and gas companies to adhere to global standards while setting up their pipelines.
"We are holding talks with oil companies in this regard and have urged them to take all necessary steps, including preventive steps, using modern technology to prevent?such incidents in the future."
"We will conduct a survey of the existing pipelines. We are suggesting the companies to keep the pipelines away from residential colonies," Rajappa said.
The Government will re-construct 16 houses which were completely gutted, he said, adding their occupants will be temporarily shifted by the administration.
He said Rs 5,000 each has been provided to the fire-hit families to purchase essential commodities. "We are also collecting the data in regard to the coconut trees lost in the fire. We will provide compensation to coconut farmers also."
GAIL Director (Projects) A Karnatak said a special probe is being conducted into the fire and assured to provide infrastructure facilities and rehabilitate the village.
He said GAIL has adhered to international standards in setting up its pipelines in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared