Gem studded gold idol of Lord Venkateswara found in hundi
Tirupati: A gem studded golden idol of Lord Venkateswara and small golden idols of goddess Lakshmi and Padmavathi were found in the hundi of Lord Venkateswara temple at nearby Tirumala.
It was for first time an idol of the Lord made of gold set with gems including diamonds was made as an offering in the hundi of the over 2000-year-old hill temple by a devotee, temple sources told PTI here.
The idol of Lord Venkateswara weighed 2.7 kgs while that of Lakshmi and Padmavathi weighed 101 and 81 grams respectively.
The total worth of the princely offering was estimated to be about Rs 1.25 crore, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends