Gentlemen don`t issue threats, Cong to Jaganmohan
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday sought to call the
bluff of Y S Jaganmohan Reddy who has said its government in
Andhra Pradesh is continuing as being a gentleman he has not
asked MLAs supporting him to resign, saying gentlemen do not
issue threats and if they do they carry them out.
"Gentlemen do not issue threats in the first place and if
they do, they carry out their threats," party spokesperson
Abhishek Singhvi told reporters giving enough hints that the
party views the threat by the rebel leader as an empty one.
Reddy, who has revolted against the Congress in Andhra
Pradesh, took his battle to Delhi yesterday by demonstrating
his clout in the state party unit with two Congress MPs and 23
MLAs on his side during a one-day protest fast here on a water
"Currently I am doing a favour to the Congress party
because if my MLAs resign, the government there will fall. Had
I wanted, I could have done it a long time ago. I am a
gentleman. So I am doing a favour to the Congress party,"
Jagan had said yesterday.
The Congress has 155 MLAs in the 294-member Andhra
Pradesh Assembly and the Congress government can come under
pressure if the 23 MLAs withdraw support.
Singhvi, though skeptical on the number of MLAs present
in Jagan`s programme, sought to put such party leaders on
tenterhooks, saying, "Appropriate action will be taken at
appropriate time keeping in view all aspects and our larger
strategy for the state."
He said that there was "nothing like a threat to the
state government. We are not sure of even the figure (of MLAs
present in Jagan`s meeting)."
Congress had yesterday also dismissed Jagan`s claim as
an "illusion", saying that the Kiran Reddy government was
never and would never face any danger.
Congress government in Andhra Pradesh was never under
any threat, is not under any threat and would never be. If
any person has any illusions at all, they will be demystified
soon," Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari had said.
The assertions by Congress spokespersons also indicate
that the party has perhaps chalked out a contingency plan in
view of the possibility of few MLAs withdrawing support from
the state government.
The party is banking heavily on newly installed Chief
Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy to tackle the situation giving more
than hints that it was an "acid test" and if he could prove
his leadership, it would be better for him and the party.
Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily also expressed the
confidence that the Congress government in the state will not
fall when asked about Jagan`s claim that the Andhra Pradesh
government was at his mercy.
Moily, who is in charge of Congress affairs in Andhra
Pradesh, had yesterday termed the present crisis as "temporary
ripples in the water" and said "everything will be set right
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow