Godavari floods claim ten lives in Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: As many as 10 people have died
following floods in the Godavari in the past three days even
as water level in the river continued to rise alarmingly,
severely affecting normal life in nine districts particularly
Khammam and East Godavari districts.
Eight deaths were reported in Warangal district while two
were reported in Adilabad district, a senior official of the
Disaster Management Department said today.
Standing crop in over 30,000 hectares was damaged besides
271 cattle deaths were reported following heavy rains and
floods, he said.
Due to incessant rains in catchment areas in Maharashtra,
water level in the Godavari river continued to rise at several
places in Andhra Pradesh resulting in damage to 1,631
irrigation sources and 60 roads, officials said.
As the water level rose in the Godavari at temple town
Bhadrachalam in Khammam district to 59.7 feet, its tributaries
and rivulets overflew in down-stream areas causing damage to
standing crop and properties.
Meanwhile, Revenue officials have issued third warning as
water-level crossed the danger level of 53 feet at
Bhadrachalam. A second warning was issued at Davaleswarm
barrage in East Godavari district where water-level touched
16.15 ft as against the danger level of 17.15 ft even as lakhs
of cusecs of water was discharged into the Bay of Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money
- Bihar Board class 10th results: More than 50 percent students fail in exams - Is this the reason?
- Tax holiday for start-ups should be raised to 7 years, says Commerce Minister
- Protest in Portugal against private school funding cuts