Gold worth Rs 5 crore seized at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: Gold bars worth over Rs 5 crore were Friday seized at the international airport here from three passengers, who were allegedly trying to smuggle the precious metal, officials said.
The trio, who arrived here from Singapore, have been arrested.
As many as 18 gold bars, each weighing one kg and valued at over Rs 5 crore, were seized from the passengers who landed at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad during wee hours, a customs official said.
The three, Hazi Mohammad, Ziauddin and Chokkalingam - who were travelling by a private airline - will be produced in a local court, he said.
The gold was meant to be smuggled to Chennai further, the official said, adding an investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef