Gold worth Rs 5 crore seized at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: Gold bars worth over Rs 5 crore were Friday seized at the international airport here from three passengers, who were allegedly trying to smuggle the precious metal, officials said.
The trio, who arrived here from Singapore, have been arrested.
As many as 18 gold bars, each weighing one kg and valued at over Rs 5 crore, were seized from the passengers who landed at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad during wee hours, a customs official said.
The three, Hazi Mohammad, Ziauddin and Chokkalingam - who were travelling by a private airline - will be produced in a local court, he said.
The gold was meant to be smuggled to Chennai further, the official said, adding an investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees