Gold worth Rs 5 crore seized at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: Gold bars worth over Rs 5 crore were Friday seized at the international airport here from three passengers, who were allegedly trying to smuggle the precious metal, officials said.
The trio, who arrived here from Singapore, have been arrested.
As many as 18 gold bars, each weighing one kg and valued at over Rs 5 crore, were seized from the passengers who landed at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad during wee hours, a customs official said.
The three, Hazi Mohammad, Ziauddin and Chokkalingam - who were travelling by a private airline - will be produced in a local court, he said.
The gold was meant to be smuggled to Chennai further, the official said, adding an investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city