Govt doctors to examine AP MLA Owaisi booked for hate speech
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi, facing multiple cases for alleged hate speech, will be subjected to medical examination by government doctors on Tuesday as he failed to appear before the police for questioning on Monday citing ill health.
The Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator, booked at three police stations in Andhra Pradesh, arrived here from London early today and filed an application before Nirmal police in Adilabad district through his counsel, seeking four days` time to appear before them on health grounds.
Owaisi looked fit to face questioning, IG (Warangal Range) A B Vekateshwar Rao told reporters tonight, quoting Investigating Officer of Nirmal (Rural) police station A Raghu who visited Owaisi`s residence here.
However, Owaisi complained of "internal pain" and hence the IO will subject him to medical examination by government doctors tomorrow, he said.
Depending on the availability of doctors and the situation, the examination will be conducted at a hospital or any other place, including his residence, Rao said.
After the MLA sought time to appear before the police citing health grounds, the IO visited the lawmaker`s residence in Banjara Hills area here this evening to enquire about his medical condition, the IG said.
The Investigating Officer decided to visit Owaisi`s home
after his counsel submitted a letter to Adilabad police saying he was not in good health, Rao said.
A large number of supporters of Owaisi, who is also MIM`s floor leader in Andhra Pradesh Assembly, gathered outside his residence when the police team arrived there.
Asked whether police were going slow in questioning the 42-year-old MLA and if he will be arrested if medical report confirms that he is fit enough, Rao said "we are moving ahead as per law and every decision will be taken accordingly."
Besides Adilabad district, FIRs have been filed against Owaisi in Nizamabad and Hyderabad. Nizamabad police have asked him to appear before them tomorrow and Hyderabad police on January 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video