Hate speech: Akbaruddin Owaisi moves High Court against arrest
Hyderabad: Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen leader Akbaruddin Owaisi, who returned to India from London on Monday morning, filed a writ petition in the High Court seeking a stay on his arrest. He has also asked that no more cases should be filed against him in the case of delivering hate speeches against a particular community.
He has also sought four more days to appear before the police.
Owaisi, who is an MIM MLA and leader of the party in Andhra Pradesh Assembly, has citied medical reasons in his plea for time. The police seeks to record his statement in connection with cases registered against him.
Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen MLA, who is also his party`s floor leader in the Andhra Pradesh state assembly, moved a petition through his counsel in the High Court contending that he has been implicated in these cases due to political reasons.
In his petition, Owaisi`s counsel claimed that, "He is an MLA and he is available to the investigation at any time and that there is no need to arrest him.
"Despite the police registering suo-motu cases at Nirmal and Nizamabad police stations, more complaints were being lodged at different places and he sought quashing of all the FIRs registered in Andhra Pradesh," he counsel said in his petition.
Owaisi was reportedly undergoing treatment in London.
As part of a further probe into the two cases, notices were issued against Owaisi on January 04 and he was directed to appear before police in Adilabad district on January 07, as well as the Nizambad II Town police on January 08.
Another notice was served to the MIM legislator by Osmania police asking him to appear before it on January 10.
While two FIRs were registered suo motu at Adilabad and Nizamabad districts, a third case was registered by Osmania University police, following a court directive after Owaisi allegedly used inflammatory language against a particular community last month.
Fresh complaints continued to pour in against Owaisi from Malkangiri and Vanasthalipuram, though no cases have been registered, police said.
Owaisi, who represents Chandrayangutta Assembly constituency, has been booked under Section 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion) and Section 295A (deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings) of IPC.
The MIM legislator has also been booked under Section 121 (waging or attempting to wage war, or abetting waging of war, against the Government of India) of IPC.
Meanwhile, TDP and BJP leaders held protests at various places in the state, demanding action against Owaisi. TDP MLA Revant Reddy demanded that Owaisi be disqualified for his comments. Speaking at a protest, state BJP president G Kishan Reddy said that steps should be taken to ensure that Owaisi returns to India to face the law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now