Hate speech: AP police begin questioning of MIM leader Owaisi
Adilabad: Police on Saturday began interrogation of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi, booked for alleged sedition and criminal conspiracy for his "hate speech", a day after getting his five-day custody from a court here in Andhra Pradesh.
Nirmal town police in Adilabad district, who had registered a case against Owaisi, arrested him from Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad on January 8. He was later remanded in 14-day judicial custody.
A court in Nirmal town had yesterday sent the 42-year-old legislator from Chandrayanagutta in Hyderabad to police remand to facilitate his questioning.
Accordingly, a police team took Owaisi`s custody from the Adilabad district jail and brought him to Armed Reserve Office here where he was being questioned in the presence of one of his lawyers and a doctor, police sources said.
FIRs were registered at Adilabad and Nizamabad districts after the legislator had used allegedly inflammatory and derogatory language against a particular community during his public speeches last month.
Subsequently, the Hyderabad police booked the MIM leader following a court directive while police in Kadapa district registered another case against him yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report