Hate speech: AP Police seek 7-day custody of Akbaruddin Owaisi
Nirmal (AP): The Andhra Pradesh Police today sought seven-day custody of MIM legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi after he was remanded in 14-day judicial custody in Adilabad district following his arrest in a "hate speech" case.
Nirmal Police, which is investigating the case, filed a petition in the Nirmal Munsif Magistrate court seeking seven days custodial interrogation of Akbaruddin as part of further probe, Karimnagar Range Deputy Inspector General (DIG) R Bhimanayak said.
Nirmal town police suo moto booked a case on January 3 against Akbaruddin for his alleged provocative speech under IPC Section 121 (waging or attempting to wage war, or abetting waging of war, against the government of India) and 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, language etc. And doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony).
However, police later slapped another five sections of IPC in the remand report today.
After thorough questioning of Akbaruddin by the investigating officer last night at Nirmal town police station, five additional sections including of 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 295A (deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs), 124A (sedition), 188 (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant) and section 505 of IPC, were added.
"It was after police inquiry and based on evidence that fresh sections have been added," the DIG said.
After magistrate orders, Akbaruddin was taken to Adilabad district jail, about 80 kms from here, police said.
The FIRs were registered suo moto at Adilabad and Nizamabad districts after the legislator had allegedly used inflammatory and derogatory language against a particular community during his public speeches last month while the Osmania University Police in Hyderabad booked him subsequently following a court directive.
Meanwhile, security was beefed up at Nirmal town and surrounding areas of the court and in other parts of Adilabad district even as unidentified persons pelted stones on OB vans of two news channels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown