Hate-speech case: Court cancels NBW but asks Owaisi to appear
Hyderabad: A magistrate`s court here on Friday cancelled a non-bailable warrant against MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi in a `hate speech` case, but said he must appear before it on May 9.
The court had issued the warrant against Owaisi, an MLA of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM), yesterday, following a complaint filed by advocate Kashimshetty Karunasagar. The court had directed the police to produce Owaisi on May 9.
Seeking a recall of the warrant, Akbaruddin`s lawyer advocate Mohd Azim today argued that his client was not given the opportunity to appear before the court, and the NBW was issued on the same day the court took cognisance of the complaint.
"The court allowed the recall petition and cancelled the NBW," Azim told reporters later.
Karnunasagar argued that Akbaruddin had no privilege which entitled him not to appear before the court though he is an MLA.
He had filed the complaint on December 28, alleging that Akbaruddin, MLA from Chandrayangutta, had used inflammatory and derogatory language against a community while addressing a public meeting at Nirmal, in Adilabad district. The complaint was based on an online video.
Police, on their own, have lodged cases in Nirmal and Nizamabad districts against the MIM legislator over the same issue.
The MIM leader faces charges of sedition and waging war against the nation, apart from other charges under the Indian Penal Code.
In one of these cases, the 42-year-old MIM leader was arrested by the Nirmal police on January 8, to be released on bail on February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried