Hate speech charges against Owaisi baseless, says his party
Hyderabad: Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) on Thursday said the allegations of hate speech levelled against party MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi were "baseless" and the matter would be decided in the courts.
The entire episode is a conspiracy hatched against the Hyderabad-based party by Andhra Pradesh`s Congress Government in connivance with BJP, said Asaduddin Owaisi, the MIM President and brother of the jailed legislator.
"Akbaruddin Owaisi, by coming back (from London), has clearly shown he wants justice to be done to himself. This is a baseless allegation made against him. The Government, in connivance with BJP, has conspired against MIM party. The courts will decide whether he was right or wrong," he told reporters here.
Akbaruddin was yesterday sent to 14 days judicial remand in Adilabad district, a day after he was arrested on sedition, criminal conspiracy and other charges for making a "hate speech" last month.
Asaduddin, Lok Sabha member from Hyderabad, and party supporters today offered prayers for the 42-year-old MLA from Chandrayangutta here.
MIM, which has a strong political base in Hyderabad`s Old City areas, had been a Congress ally. However, MIM late last year withdrew support to the Congress both at the Centre and state, but both parties continue to share power in the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad