Hate speech: Court issues NBW against Akbaruddin Owaisi
Hyderabad: A local court on Thuraday issued a non-bailable warrant against Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi for allegedly making a "hate speech" against a particular community.
Based on a private complaint of Kashimshetty Karunasagar, a practising advocate, the VII Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate court here issued the non-bailable warrant with a direction to Maddannapet police to produce Akbaruddin before it on May 9.
Akbaruddin`s counsel Mohd Azim filed an application in the court seeking recall of the non-bailable warrant.
"We have filed an application seeking to cancel the NBW. The court has posted the matter for tomorrow," Azim told PTI, adding that his client was ready to appear before the court.
Karunasagar had filed a complaint on December 28 last year in the court seeking registration of a case against Akbaruddin under Section 295-A (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs), 153-A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion) and other relevant sections of the IPC.
He had alleged that he saw an online video wherein Akbaruddin, who represents Chandrayangutta Assembly seat, was seen using inflammatory and derogatory words against a particular community, while addressing a public meeting at Nirmal town.
Earlier, the Second Metropolitan Magistrate of Ranga Reddy district had issued a non-bailable warrant against Akbaruddin on April 16 after he failed to appear before it in a hate speech case lodged against him at Nirmal town in Adilabad district.
Police had suo-motu booked cases in Nirmal and Nizamabad districts against the MIM legislator after he allegedly used inflammatory and derogatory language against a community during his public speeches in December last year.
The MIM leader also faces charges of sedition and waging war against the nation among others, under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code.
Subsequently, multiple cases were lodged against Akbaruddin following court directives across Andhra Pradesh.
42-year-old Akbaruddin, the MIM`s floor leader in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, was arrested by the Nirmal police from Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad on January 8. He was later released on bail on February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray