HC clears way for polls to Panchayat Raj Institutions
Hyderabad: The Panchayat Raj Institutions in Andhra Pradesh will soon go for elections as the High Court here paved the way on Tuesday, asking the state government to fix the reservations at 50 per cent and submit a report to the State Election Commission in this connection.
The SEC will have to complete the election process within three months after receiving the report from the government, official sources here said.
AP has a three-tier Panchayat Raj system with gram panchayats, mandal parishads and zilla parishads.
The term of these PRIs ended in July\August 2011 but the state government shied away from conducting fresh polls due to political reasons.
The Telangana statehood agitation on one hand and the Jagan factor on the other made the ruling Congress jittery over conducting these elections.
The PRIs have been under special officer rule since August last year.
The Government of India stopped release of statutory grants to the tune of Rs 1500 crore due to non-conduct of elections to PRIs.
In the meantime, a petition was filed in the High Court seeking conduct of elections to the PRIs but the government said it had to first finalise the reservations (for various sections) as per the 2011 census.
With the HC verdict today, the state government will have to hasten the process and put elected bodies in place within three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack