HC clears way for polls to Panchayat Raj Institutions
Hyderabad: The Panchayat Raj Institutions in Andhra Pradesh will soon go for elections as the High Court here paved the way on Tuesday, asking the state government to fix the reservations at 50 per cent and submit a report to the State Election Commission in this connection.
The SEC will have to complete the election process within three months after receiving the report from the government, official sources here said.
AP has a three-tier Panchayat Raj system with gram panchayats, mandal parishads and zilla parishads.
The term of these PRIs ended in July\August 2011 but the state government shied away from conducting fresh polls due to political reasons.
The Telangana statehood agitation on one hand and the Jagan factor on the other made the ruling Congress jittery over conducting these elections.
The PRIs have been under special officer rule since August last year.
The Government of India stopped release of statutory grants to the tune of Rs 1500 crore due to non-conduct of elections to PRIs.
In the meantime, a petition was filed in the High Court seeking conduct of elections to the PRIs but the government said it had to first finalise the reservations (for various sections) as per the 2011 census.
With the HC verdict today, the state government will have to hasten the process and put elected bodies in place within three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?