HC suspends bails of two accused in Mecca Masjid blast case
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Monday ordered temporary suspension of the bail granted to two accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb blast case here.
The High Court also ordered that notices be issued to the accused Devendra Gupta and Lokesh Sharma, who are presently in a jail in Jaipur, said advocate N Ramchander, their lawyer.
"National Investigation Agency had objected to the bail order (by lower court). The order of the lower court has been suspended and notices issued to my clients," he said.
A local court, on November 26, granted conditional bail to Gupta and Sharma, who also figure among the five persons named in the charge sheet filed by the Rajasthan ATS in the 2007 Ajmer blast case.
A cell phone-controlled pipe bomb went off at the historical Mecca Masjid here during Friday prayers on May 18, 2007, killing nine people. Five more were killed when police fired upon a mob protesting the blast.
NIA, last year, filed a charge sheet against Swami Aseemanand and five others in this case. The CBI, which had earlier probed the case, had named six persons in its FIR, all with links with a Right-wing Hindu outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty