Heat wave grips Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Severe heat wave conditions prevailed in Andhra Pradesh on Sunday with several places in the state recording maximum temperatures of over 40 degrees Celsius.
Rentachintala in coastal Andhra Pradesh recorded a maximum temperature of 46 degrees Celsius, followed by 44 degrees Celsius in Nandigama, Ongole, Mahabubnagar, Nalgonda and Kurnool in the past 24 hours as per observations recorded at 08.30 hours today.
Maximum temperatures hovered around 40 degrees Celsius at several other places.
The searing heat resulted in less traffic on the roads during day time.
The misery of the people was compounded with erratic power supply, especially in rural and semi-urban areas.
The heat wave conditions would prevail in the districts of Nellore, Prakasam, Guntur and Krishna in coastal Andhra Pradesh and in the districts of Chittoor and Kurnool of Rayalaseema, Met office said.
An official release from the Disaster Management Commissioner said senior citizens, children and heart patients should take care to prevent sun stroke. People have been advised to avoid excessive physical labour during day time.
Those belonging to BPL families can apply for financial assistance from the government as per procedures under the `Apadhbandhu` scheme in case of death due to sunstroke, the release added.
Meanwhile, hailstorms were reported in Vijayawada and some other places in the state today and the gale resulted in damage to mango crops, reports reaching here said.
The cyclonic storm, named `Mahasen`, over southeast bay of Bengal moved slightly northwestwards and lay centred southeast of Chennai. The system is likely to move towards Bangladesh-Myanmar coast, Met office added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy