Heavy rains continue to lash AP; death toll rises to 18
Hyderabad: Heavy rains continued unabated in different parts of Andhra Pradesh resulting in submergence of habitations and agriculture and loss of human lives on Tuesday.
With six persons killed due to the collapse of a wall of a building at Moulali here, the number of persons who have perished in rain-related incidents in the state rose to 18.
The state government has set up 75 relief camps, providing shelter to 10,782 people, as on today in the districts of Khammam, Adilabad, East Godavari and West Godavari, officials said.
Standing cotton, soya bean, maize, paddy, pulses among others crops in 60,466 hectares were submerged and 10,278 houses suffered damage.
The heavy rains forced the authorities to postpone the Gram Panchayat elections at several places in the state.
The downpour resulted in damage or breach to 284 minor irrigation tanks and about 4,000km of roads. Power supply to a number of villages in the affected districts had to be cut-off as a precautionary measure, they said.
The average rainfall recorded today in AP was 22.3 mm. The total rainfall received from June one to July 23 is 322.9 mm as against normal 247.8 mm. The highest rainfall of 503 mm was recorded at Dahegaon in Adilabad district.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who reviewed the situation with senior officials here, directed them to constantly monitor the situation with District Collectors and continue relief operations.
Three teams of National Disaster Response Force have left for Adilabad to carry out the relief and rescue operations, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview