Heavy rains in Andhra destroys crops
Hyderabad: As heavy rains continued to lash Andhra Pradesh due to `Nilam` cyclonic storm, standing crops in about 77,000 hectares have been affected.
"Crops, mostly paddy, in 76,980 hectares are in water. It is not that all of that crop is damaged. Once the water recedes, the district officials would enumerate and send reports," state Revenue Minister N Raghuveera Reddy said in a briefing today.
`Nilam`, which crossed north Tamil Nadu coast on Wednesday evening, weakened into a deep depression and further into a depression, causing widespread rains in Andhra Pradesh and south Karnataka.
Quoting information from Met department, the minister said the rains would end in most of the areas by tonight but continue for another 24 hours in Khammam, Warangal, Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam districts.
Four persons were killed in rain-related incidents -- three due to electrocution and one due to a wall collapse -- in the state, he said.
The district collectors would give ex-gratia to the kin of the deceased.
The minister said 30 houses -- 16 fully and 14 partially -- were damaged due to the rains. 449 electric poles were also damaged.
About 5,000 people were provided shelter in relief camps in Prakasam district.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy would launch land distribution to the poor at Puttaparti in Anantapur district tomorrow, which will be carried out across the state from November 4-10. About 80,000 acres will be distributed, the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price