Heavy rains: Panchayat polls in some AP villages rescheduled
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh State Election Commission (SEC) today rescheduled the ongoing gram panchayat election process in several villages in the state in view of the incessant rains.
The villages are in the districts of Adilabad, East Godavari, Karimnagar, Khammam, Nizamabad and Warangal, SEC officials said.
The election programme in the villages has been synchronised with the third phase of poll, they said.
As per the altered programme, the polling in these villages would be held on July 31 (from 7 AM to 1 PM) and the votes will be counted on the same day (from 2 PM onwards). The results will be declared after completion of voting.
Polling in villages, where election process has now been rescheduled, was originally scheduled to be held as part of the first or second phases.
As many as 2,642 sarpanchs in the state have already been elected unopposed. Elections would be held for the office of sarpanch (village head) in 18,721 gram panchayats.
The gram panchayat elections, wherever required, will be held in three phases on July 23, 27 and 31.
The nominations were filed from July 7 to 13 and the last date for the withdrawal of candidature was July 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi court reserves order on criminal complaint against Arvind Kejriwal
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in