Heavy rains: Panchayat polls in some AP villages rescheduled
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh State Election Commission (SEC) today rescheduled the ongoing gram panchayat election process in several villages in the state in view of the incessant rains.
The villages are in the districts of Adilabad, East Godavari, Karimnagar, Khammam, Nizamabad and Warangal, SEC officials said.
The election programme in the villages has been synchronised with the third phase of poll, they said.
As per the altered programme, the polling in these villages would be held on July 31 (from 7 AM to 1 PM) and the votes will be counted on the same day (from 2 PM onwards). The results will be declared after completion of voting.
Polling in villages, where election process has now been rescheduled, was originally scheduled to be held as part of the first or second phases.
As many as 2,642 sarpanchs in the state have already been elected unopposed. Elections would be held for the office of sarpanch (village head) in 18,721 gram panchayats.
The gram panchayat elections, wherever required, will be held in three phases on July 23, 27 and 31.
The nominations were filed from July 7 to 13 and the last date for the withdrawal of candidature was July 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next