Hindu religious leader arrested for hate speech
Hyderabad: Hindu religious leader Swami Kamlananda Bharati was Monday sent to jail for allegedly making a hate speech and promoting enmity on grounds of religion and race.
Bharati, who was arrested in Srisailam town Sunday night, was brought to Hyderabad and produced before a magistrate, who remanded him to judicial custody for 14 days.
The president of Hindu Devalaya Parirakshana Samithi, a committee fighting for protection of Hindu temples, has been charged with promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, language and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony.
Amid tight security, the saffron-clad leader was later shifted to Cherlapally Central Jail on the city outskirts.
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Hyderabad police arrested Bharati Sunday night in Srisailam town of Kurnool district, about 250 km from here.
He had allegedly made a venomous speech against the Muslim community while addressing a rally in the city on Jan 8. Cases were booked against him in Mir Chowk and Dabeerpura police stations in the old city on the complaints lodged by some organisations including Majlis Bachao Tehreek (MBT) and Human Awakening Society, an NGO.
They alleged that Bharati made an inflammatory speech to create communal disturbances in Hyderabad.
His speech was aired on some television channels and was also posted on YouTube.
He had made the remarks at a rally was organised to condemn Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) leader Akbaruddin Owaisi`s hate speech against Hindus. Owaisi was arrested last week.
Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and other rightwing Hindu groups have condemned Bharati`s arrest. They alleged that he was arrested on Sankranti day when he had gone to the pilgrim town of Srisaialam for performing some rituals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks